According to the unequal access to health care services in urban and rural areas (in dental care services the country had almost 10 dental clinics and most of them are working in capital city, about ophthalmology 80% of ophthalmogists and 75% of eye facilities were in urban areas).
Then a group of medical providers has set up the NGO called IPROSARUDE (initiative for promotion of rural health and development) in order to increase the access to healthcare in rural areas.
Click on the icon to download the status
Our Vision is that every Burundian has access to healthcare services.
Our mission is to save lives and improve rural health in general and particularly to more vulnerable people through access to high quality healthcare.
Integrity – Excellence – Vitality – Collaboration – Empowerment
Community involvement – Solidarity – Mutual respect – Humility – Success
What we do?
Improving Community Health
IPROSARUDE carries out diseases prevention programs through awareness raising campaigns. We use various communication channels to reach out to different communities across Burundi and we cover topics related to WASH, environmental protection to fight against global warming, malnutrition through the promotion of healthy diets adoption to name a few. We also educate young people about sexual reproductive health.
Per year around 100 000 peoples received health informations.
In collaboration with care international,125912 youth peoples between 10-24 ans had received differents services in SRH.
Access to health services
IPROSARUDE operates 3 health units in 3 rural provinces of BURUNDI:
- The Kayogoro Hope Center, in the south of Makamba province
- Hope Polyclinic in Gitega( Central Province of BURUNDI, Gitega Province)
- Mwaro Hope Medical Center in Mwaro Province
- A new center will be opened soon in the north of the country (Kayanza province)
To date,IPROSARUDE has provided 333173 services with 6747 dental care ,124528 eye care ,160200 in SRH .
In 2016,IPROSARUDE was the 1st in ophthalmology services at national level with 39,94% with 14650/36676 .
Support for the promotion of sustainable development
IPROSARUDE’s contributes also to the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals. We work with rural communities helping them to develop agricultural projects and we provide to them livestocks so that they can elevate their living standards.
Moreover, they form village saving groups (VSLAs) which allow them to run small businesses, through this program, 240 VSLA were set up with 6480 members.
Strengthening Governance and Knowledge Management of IPROSARUDE
IPROSARUDE has set up a research and development unit (RDU) composed of multidisciplinary experts.
With this program, 3 researches were done:
- The study of knowledge, attitudes and practices among women of childbearing age on the cervical cancer was launched on a sample of 206 women of reproductive age in the health district of Gitega.
- Impact of the anthropic activities on the vegetable settlements of the National park of Rusizi in BURUNDI/cases of the sector palm plantation,
- Impact of maternal breastfeeding practices on nutritional status in children less than two years in Burundi
Where we work
IPROSARUDE is a local NGO striving to save human lives by bringing high quality and more affordable health services to the most marginalized people living in Burundi’s rural regions. We operate in 10 out of 18 Burundi Provinces. We provide preventative, curative, and specialized health services including dental care as well as family planning and reproductive health services.
IPROSARUDE has 4 regional offices:
- Gitega (Gitega, Mwaro and Karuzi) ,
- Kayogoro (Rutana, Makamba and Bururi) ,
- Bujumbura (Bujumbura Mairie,Bujumbura , Bubanza et Cibitoke) ,
- Kayanza (north provinces)